Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Without demonizing those with a different view."

I was watching an educational film today, "So Goes the Nation", featuring President Bush and John Kerry during the 2004 Presidential election campaigns. Throughout this film, it is clear that ideographs and campaign messages can motivate supporters; however, the film also demonstrated  that visible groups/supporters often represent the extremes of the political spectrum, isolating the more moderate individuals and ideals. 
During one scene, the Bush and Kerry supporters engaged in angry, public discourse. Ultimately, this non-adversarial argumentation leaves individuals closed minded and isolated to their own views/ideology-- not a healthy environment (public) for positive political growth. 
 It is important to remember that our nation, our political culture, must understand, and at least acknowledge the middle ground and the moderate ideals. 
Today, I watched Caroline and Senator Edward Kennedy endorse Barack Obama, on www.CNN.com. Senator Edward Kennedy stated that Obama has the capability to lead "without demonizing those with a different view." 
I am not stating my support for Obama, rather I am stating my support for the importance of open, effective communication between all political sides. Without listening to one another, and by blindly shouting insensitive and ignorant remarks at one another, we will not make much progress. I believe this to be true in many publics, but certainly in our political public. 

Reference Endorsement CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/29/kennedy.reax/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

No comments: