Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Scom 353: Ideographs in Action

Today, our class discussed the article "The Ideograph: A Link Between Rhetoric and Ideology." During our discussion we deconstructed the article and found a basic definition for the term "ideograph": a figure of thought, a term which summarizes an aspect of historical ideology. I won't elaborate too much on the lecture, but understand that an ideograph is something (text, visual, spoken word) that triggers emotions and thought.  
This evening, I was reading a chapter in "American Government: Continuity and Change," when I came across a section: The Huntington Theory of Hispanization. Previously the text had noted that the Hispanic population is the fastest growing and the largest minority population. 
The Huntington Theory intrigued me, considering that immigration has become a predominant focus of current politics.  According to the text, Huntington has proclaimed a highly controversial thesis regarding the recent wave of Latin American immigration. 
Huntington uses "ideographs" to project his thesis. He believes that these immigrants want to "reclaim" lands that were lost after the Texas war for independence and the Mexican-American War. Hence, he argues that this immigration wave is "fostering a type of dual national or cultural allegiance (or worse, loyalty to the home country) which can weaken ties to American core values." 
Huntington's Theory argues that these recent immigrants have formed enclaves that allow them to escape assimilation and avoid learning our language, history, political values. He believes that this will erode social and political bonds between citizens. 
Huntington is making a bold, controversial statement against a rising U.S. population, and he uses ideographs to reach his audience. 
Huntington agrees that the American melting pot has been historically successful due to new Americans' ability to absorb the "Fundamental Political Principles" as their own: these being equality, individual rights, and government by consent.   
 Fundamental Political Principles--sounds like another ideograph to help reinforce his argument.  I am curious if you all agree... does this new wave of immigration threaten or disturb equality, individual rights, or government by consent?
Anyway, I just thought it was interesting to see the use of ideographs in action. According to the text, Huntington's theory remains controversial. I assume some skeptics have seen his ideographs as empty, while others have effectively connected with Huntington's words. 
It will be interesting to see how our nation continues to react to this growing wave of immigration.  I am certain we will see more ideographs. 

No comments: