Sunday, April 13, 2008

Redemption

The subject of "political movies and their role of informing citizens" has come full circle and tied itself to our new subject of "conspiracy". Last night I watched, "Redemption" a movie that focuses on radical muslim terrorists in Northern Africa. With increasingly sophisticated explosives, our government takes a United States, NYU graduate hostage. He is believed to have been in contact with the terrorist group via phone calls. 

This movie is parallel to a resent political debate...the United States use of torture, Guatonoma Bay prisoners, and the rights of US citizens that are held. Do these detainees  deserve to be protected by the Bill of Rights and should they be given the right to Due Process: right to an attorney, a right to know the charges brought against them, a right to a public and speedy trial? 

I thought this movie introduced the public to the inhuman elements that these detainees may be facing. The victim (detainee) boarded an airplane in Africa and was removed at the airport in DC--his flight record was erased. CONSPIRACY--COVER UP. He was brought to an unknown location and the interrogation began.   I just thought it was interesting how these two subjects tied together. The movie also demonstrated waterboarding--a controversial debate topic in our political sphere right now. 

A stimulating movie...very timly. Check it out. In class you asked if anyone believed in conspiracies....well I believe that we don't know all the details about the jails which hold detainees and that possibly there are individuals covering up inhuman actions. I know too little about the subject, but I enjoyed having my eyes opened a little more and learning about this subject. I do think movies sometimes have a place in society to teach, if they so choose.   


No comments: