Just adding to the previous blog about the race vs. gender topic...I recently listened to the NPR link above. The radio link asks the question...who's turn is it now?
I believe these identity politics (where your education or family might have taught you to use sex/race as a political standard) is old fashioned. I think, I hope, today's younger generation is mostly looking at policies while making the 2008 political decisions. I think older generations, one's that may have lived through the struggles of women's suffrage and civil rights battles for African Americans, hold onto identity politics more than our younger generations who simply read about the historical challenges.
I think it is cool that African Americans and women began a battle together in the 1900's, and today we see them once more making history together. Abolitionism and feminism have partnered throughout history, and I'm thrilled to see the progress has continued.
So to answer the question: Who's turn is it now...who is more deserving?
I don't think it has anything to do with race. I think it has to do with experience, charisma, and the campaigns' media strategy. May the best candidate win...and let race and gender not be the reason why.
No comments:
Post a Comment