Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Helps Prepare for Super Tuesday

I was shocked when I saw a political advertisement for Barack Obama, on Super Bowl Sunday. To my knowledge, this is a move that was  unmatched by his competitor Hillary Clinton.  
I have never actually seen a political ad on television before, yes we have analyzed them in class, checked out the popular ones on YouTube, but this was a first. I have never truly been included in the target audience. I think this is one thing that Obama has done well, reached out to a younger, refreshing support base. 
The advertisement contrasted images of war and environment. Simplistic words were bolded and reinforced Obama's verbal message, an over arching campaign theme, "Yes we can, change!"  
Additionally, the "super-bowl" ish music and crowds (packed and cheering) certainly give the ad a momentum...one that should positively carry Obama into Super Tuesday. I think this was a strategic campaign move.
I am impressed that the campaign was able to successfully create an ad to match the "Super Bowl" hype. I'm pumped to see how Super Tuesday will play out...I know that the newtworks have been talking about it for several days now! 
This just proves that campaigning is a strategic, thoughtful process. One must position him/herself very carefully in the public's view. 

Ad can be viewed @ 
http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/27930-obama-s-super-bowl-ad

No comments: