Friday, February 15, 2008

Just a little side-note...

Still unsure of who I am supporting, let's play devils-advocate. 

I feel that Hillary Clinton is faced with a unique challenge.  As a male, Barack Obama, is praised for his youthful appearance. He is relatable and knows how to excite a crowd. However, he doesn't have the track record or the "credentials" of Hilary Clinton. 

I wonder, if Senator Clinton had ran for president in her mid-forties, with much weaker credentials, if the public would be as responsive to a young, less qualified woman. 

I think our nation would have been shocked.  

As mentioned in class, being relatable and connected to the common man is an important characteristic; however, I feel experience plays an important role in running a country.  

In conclusion, I think Senator Clinton has faced a unique political challenge throughout her career. I don't think she would be as viable today if she didn't have her experience. 

Perhaps society expects a women to prove herself in office before attempting to change history. I just wonder if this is expected of both men and women. Would this be as exciting of a race if Obama and Clinton switched genders? 

This race is certainly a great topic for discussion! 

No comments: