Thursday, March 13, 2008

March 11th, Lecture Continued...

As our class discussed the "Permanent Campaign" I could not help but concluded that a politician's intentions and goals have somewhat shifted from those of our founding fathers. To my understanding, the founding fathers had careers separate from the government. While many were land owners or farmers, their legislative goal was to try to improve life for the colonists. 

Today, our representatives are generally focused on their position in Congress. This position is their new job. While most probably have the funds to support a family without this position, most representatives still find this position vitally important and seek reelection. 

So, I cannot help but compare these representatives to the individuals in our class. Currently, we are all running a Permanent Campaign. We are tweaking our resumes and deciding which employer should hear certain specifics. Not for all, but for most, life can be strategic. We have a plan. I know where I want to be in ten years and I am taking steps to get myself there. Like politicians, we generally don't job hunt on a whim. There is usually, for most, a plan. As college students, we are already running our own permanent campaign for our careers. 

I don't think this term strictly applies to political spheres, I think that in our society, citizens are generally campiagning themselves to get ahead. That is what makes the citizens of the USA, in part, individualistic and competitive in nature. 

Also, we must consider the influence of media. Obviously we (353 class) are not yet being followed around with cameras. The media certainly intensifies the permanent campaign. Maybe the media, and the publics growing concern/interest, can be linked to the change in political behavior (from the founding fathers.) As the public is now watching 24/7, politicians have no choice but to commit full time to their representative position. We as a public can hold them more accountable with the help of our media watch dogs. Everyone is always running a permanent campaign, the difference the public is constantly monitoring the representatives'. 


No comments: